Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentine's Weekend

Being the jet setters that we are, we decided to get out of town for the holiday weekend since I had Monday off.  We spent a few days in Arizona, Scottsdale being our home base, and drove through much of the northern part of the state.   For Valentine's Day Neal reserved us a table at what has been named "the most romantic restaurant in Phoenix," a Tuscan villa called Sassi.  But before dinner, we decided to embark on an adventure, and an adventure it was!

Neal had never been to the Grand Canyon, so we decided to
try and make the 7 hour round trip drive there before our
8:30 dinner reservation.  Here we are on our way, snow-
capped mountains in the background, driving behind a fire
red Porsche.  It just doesn't get any better than this!

After stopping in Flagstaff for a leisure lunch, we made it
to our destination.  How beautiful it was!   I had only seen
the Canyon in the summertime, never with snow.  The day
was so crisp and clear - the view was amazing. 

All in all we got to spend about 10 minutes enjoying the view
before we had to head back for dinner (which was fabulous!).
Sadly, we had a little accident while we were rushing around
the look out point.  The ground was slippery with ice and I fell.
Luckily I escaped with minor injuries but I can't say the same
for my old camera.  It hit the ground with me and has now been
officially laid to rest.  All this before I had a chance to take
a picture of Neal for his first time at the Grand Canyon.  We're
just grateful that old faithful gave us a few good shots before
the accident (one of many!) that finally did him in.

On Sunday we were able to spend some time with friends
Adam and Cindy and their four beautiful children.  We had
a really fun time and as always, can't say enough about the
delicious, home-cooked Italian meals that Adam prepares!
(Photos compliments of Adam & Cindy)

Neal and his godson, Amadeo - sooo cute!!

Adam and Cindy are great about encouraging their
kids to learn new things, especially when it comes
to music.  Between the three older kids, there are
piano, guitar, violin, and cello lessons going on at
all times.  It's wonderful!  Since Neal has been known
to play a little violin, he joined in the recital the
kids put on for us.  Thanks to these guys, we realized 
how much we miss playing an instrument, and are thinking 
more seriously about getting a piano of our own
(since we both grew up playing)! 

1 comment:

The Hubers said...

I have been to Sassi before.... just picked the restaurant on a fluke when we were in town there... didn't know it was deemed the "most romantic", but I can certainly agree. We went when it was warm out and sat outside. You could see the sunset and hear wildlife. Certainly a restaurant experience to remember.