Sunday, March 16, 2008

Out 'N About

Today we spent the day with our neighbors, Mike and Lisa.  They're super nice people and coincidentally, are also bikers too.  :-)  Mike already owns a Harley and Lisa, having ridden her whole life, has been wanting a new bike ever since she sold her last one before moving here.  When she saw my Rebel (and sat on it a few times :) her desire to get a new bike sort of grew exponentially and within days, she had herself a black one!  So, now that we have twin bikes we decided to ride around the neighborhood (can't go too far until I get my official license).  The boys came along too and we had a blast!    

Rebel biker chicks

This one's for you mom!  We do definitely wear helmets.  :-)

After our bike adventure, we hopped in Mike and Lisa's
Hummer and drove to Brazos Bend State Park, a 
local park that is great for camping and hiking.
One of the highlights of the park is the opportunity
to get up close and personal with alligators. 
Here is a baby one.  They're kind of cute when they're
not big enough to eat you.

This is a sign outlining proper alligator
"etiquette."  My favorite rule is not on this
sign but on the brochure.  It says that if you
are fishing and an alligator gets a hold of the
fish you've caught, it's best to give it up and let
the alligator have the fish.  Can you imagine 
someone actually trying to fight an alligator
for a fish?!  Too funny.

As we were walking along the trail, we noticed an
alligator in the swamps, quietly watching people pass.  
Hmmm....this might be a little too up close and personal.

A crane we saw on the trail

Us with Mike and Lisa


This is the best sign of all.  :-)

This might just look like a random field with scattered 
dirt piles, but these are no ordinary dirt piles.
These are all ant hills - RED ant hills.  We saw them
everywhere driving home from the park.  I wouldn't
want to step on one of those - yikes!

The following photos were taken by Mike.
I thought they were really cool so I'm including
them here too.




"Gutsy"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello sweet ones,

Somehow I missed the big mean alligator next to the pretty crane, hope that he didn’t attacked him later on. Hard to imagine that from that sweet baby alligator it will grow to be mean and pretty ugly :-( they scare me. Poor creatures, they are God’s creation too and I should not be so harsh about their looks, they probably look at us and say, hmm… what kind of ugly creatures are these two legged ones?
Guess I didn't read enough about Huston's swamp area, are there any more? Brazos Bend Park looks more as if it were from the swamps of Florida; they have plenty of these kinds of creatures. Goodness, red ants too? Their bite stings badly and turns into red painful itchy lumps, :-( Hope you don’t have them in your yard. The cranes are pretty and gracious birds. The black and white picture with the red bird (a robin?) looks interesting, great photos.
Honey, I love the pictures in your blog and thoroughly enjoy reading about your adventures, I feel as if I am there with you sharing your outings, really it makes me feel that way. Also, it seems as if I already know Mike and Lisa, it would be a pleasure to meet them in person one day. Oh, dad may have that opportunity since he will go to see you next month, wish I could come too!! :-(
Keep up with your interesting stories, love them!

Love you both tons, mom :-)